Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hair Today, Gone Friday

Trac, the timing of the scarf was perfect. I will, in fact, need it!

Monday night, when I took the pony tail holder out of my hair, more hair than usual came with it. Yesterday morning, when I ran my fingers through my hair, same thing. My friend Elizabeth compared it to hair after childbirth, when we start losing it again. I thought that was a good comparison, cuz it's coming out by the handfuls.

And yesterday when I was showering and gingerly shampooing my hair I thought how ironic it was that I had to be so very cautious with the remaining locks on my head, and still had to worry about shaving my legs and pits. The tweezers aren't going to get a break either, from what I can tell.

Last weekend, my hair started feeling 'sore'. You know that feeling when your hair's been up/tied back for too long? You really notice it when you release it, as if it's been bent the wrong way for too long. Well, I realized my entire scalp had been feeling that way and didn't put two and two together til yesterday. I'm guessing it's all part of literally letting go of my hair.

I went out for coffee last evening with some girlfriends. Except for some Moroccan Oil, I made no attempt at further product or styling. Everytime I touch my hair, long strands fall away. So I went out with wet hair, and as it dried, I felt more hairs falling on my arms and shoulders, a tickle here and there. Shedding like crazy!

I realized I had to take the next step, and was lucky enough to reach Annmarie yesterday afternoon. I have an appointment Friday at noon for a short crop and we'll probably have to follow up in a week or two with the clippers. Sadly, I'm not the first person she's had to do this for, so at least one of us will know what to expect. I've trusted her with my hair for years and I'm so glad she's around and available to do this for me. Being summer, I wasn't sure if that would be the case, so I'm thankful it worked out. I feel much better placing myself in her hands.

I'm no longer brushing my hair as I'm trying to preserve it for as long as possible. I'm looking forward to a pixie cut on Friday. Something along the lines of Ellen's style perhaps. The only problem is that I can't style it and it's really starting to look unhealthy already, though that could be the lack of product that I'm too cheap to now 'waste' on my hair!

I tried to snap a 'last' picture of my hair this morning. I was getting ready to dash out the door for my 8:00 mall walk, and thought I tried myself, as the kids were still in bed. Now Manon does great self-portraits with her camera. I cannot. What you see is the best of a dozen attempts. Granted, I was rushed. But none were good. I didn't find this out til after I came home from my walk and put my hair up in a lovely camo scarf to bake cookies.

Be assured that I feel better than I look in this picture! Hadn't washed my face or applied make up of any sort, though there might be some of yesterday's residue. My hair's already looking sparse, though as I said, the brush is put away, so that doesn't help it's appearance.


Good morning!!

Yesterday's mail brought another surprise package, similar in size and shape to Tracey's from the day before. I should also mention that Tracey and Brenda, the sender of this package, are former co-workers and some of my potluck girlfriends.

It was another beautiful scarf in different, yummy colours, and the same lightweight cotton and fringe. Very 
cool!

 


More emotion this time. Not because of the sender, though Brenda and Tracey would like to argue that!  Because in the time that passed from receiving that the first one on Monday to the second one yesterday, I realized that I would need them. Something else that I will keep close to me, from two dear friends who are so close to my heart.

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing how fast it falls out, and how it needs no help, it just falls.
    Thank you for sharing your journey with us xoxo

    ReplyDelete