Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Day After Chemo and The Day After That

Have been pretty much what I was expecting. Blah!

Nurse Betty recommended that I take the Lorazepam Tuesday night, to sleep. With all of the stuff pumped into me on Tuesday, apparently I wouldn't have slept well without it. Not taking any chances, I took the pill and slept for over 8 hours. Marc said he tried to have a conversation with me around 5 a.m., but I was incoherent and don't recall a word. The drugs did their trick.

So Wednesday and Thursday have been pretty mundane. Steroids again Wednesday, anti-nausea meds all day. Regular breakfast of granola cereal and blueberries, but by lunch time I felt like nothing more than some snap peas and apples sauce. Separately, of course!

Gaby spent the afternoon with her friend Rose, Nick just hung out at home, and I had an expected visited from Nurse Lesley, with my Neulasta injection. I should also mention that Nurse Tara, who tended to me during me chemo, called on Wednesday morning, to see how I was doing. I'm feeling well taken care of.

Nurse Lesley had also called in the morning to schedule her visit, to deliver the Neulasta  and teach me how to inject it. The plan was originally for Marc to inject it, but he couldn't make it home at the appointed time, and I felt confident enough to give it a go.

And that's why there's no pictures! I was fully prepared to snap a photo of Marc administering the shot, but since it was me, first of all, I had no free hands, and secondly, the easiest place to self-inject was into my belly roll. And no one wants to see that!

She was here for about an hour, going over the paperwork, required medical history, checking my vitals, all of that stuff. She also had the practical information about the injections. That each of them costs -- gulp!! --  $3250.00. For ONE injection. And that our insurance would pay 90%. That still means that the 4 shots would be $1300 out pocket. Crazy! Though I believe we've used up most of my $1000 in network deductible and that's where our 10% would come from. It remains to be seen just how much all of this is costing. It's also interesting to see the statements from insurance company indicating the actual costs of all this treatment. Astronomical.

I also had to sign a form saying something to the effect that I would take good care of the additional dose left here to be used after my second chemo, that I wouldn't sell it, that sort of thing. If it does what it's supposed to do, it's invaluable to me, so I think I'll keep it!

There was enough of Liz's yummy chicken dinner left to feed the family. Me, I just had some rice pudding. Boring, but all I felt like eating. Reminds me of early pregnancy.

Wednesday was much the same. Since one of the anti-nausea meds causes drowsiness, that's the one that is recommended for bedtime use. I don't think it helped me sleep as much as the lorazepam, but it was effective enough. I dozed off and on once Marc got up, but didn't crawl out of bed til, oh, 10ish. Granola and fresh blueberries for breakfast, but it's not tasting as good today. I could tell right away I needed the anti-nausea meds again, so I popped one of those.

Yesterday, I was drinking mostly green tea with mint, but today I opted for ice water with lime. That seems to go down better, and I've been advised that keeping myself hydrated, especially the first days following chemo, is key to feeling better sooner.

Yesterday morning I didn't feel too bad, but by afternoon, the meds made me drowsy, and that lingered all day. So today, I stuck to the one anti-nausea pill that didn't list drowsiness as a side effect. Still feeling nauseated and just kind of out of it.  Gaby hung out with the Smith's and Jess came over to keep Nick company. I did manage to get to the post office to finally post Pier's package,  and picked up some ground beef at Joe's. To make Hamburger Helper. Gross, I know, but just like when I was pregnant with both Nick and Gaby, it's something I feel like eating. Never at any other time, but obviously it's something I can handle with my tummy in this delicate condition. Nick was rolling his eyes at me. Couldn't believe I was not only making it, but going to eat it. But it went down real good.

This 'delicate tummy' also frustated me when my friend Sue delivered a delectible London broil for dinner, with mushroom gravy, baked white and sweet potatoes with toppings for both, and delicious salad. She came back about an hour later with a forgotten dessert, Toll House Pie. Everything smelled so good, and looked so good, but I just couldn't eat right now. So frustrated, but happy that my family is well fed! All I had was the baked potatoes, but the family enjoyed everything and the kids declared that pie awesome! Thanks Sue, for taking such good care of us.

That's where I'm at two days after chemo. Just where I thought I would be.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering about that - if it felt somewhat like morning sickness...

    Those shots? Ah, yeah... No comment :)

    ReplyDelete