Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Chemo - 1 down, 3 to go

Well, the chemo was better than the weather! We Pelletiers never seem to do anything without drama and today was no exception!

Marc was in KC yesterday, returning home on a flight arriving in Philly at 10 p.m. Except that it was cancelled, due to, apparently, weather. So he got a flight to Charlotte NC, but just missed the last flight out to Philly. So he spent the night there, rising before dawn to catch a 6 a.m. flight to Philly, arriving at 8. Should work. Except that he was traveling USAir, which is notorious in this city for the slowest luggage delivery anywhere. But the flight was light, and he actually saw his bags coming off of the plane before he deplaned, a good sign. We had to leave home shortly after 9, 9:15 at the very latest, to get to the hospital on time. But we didn't plan for the rain.

It wasn't just raining. It was a torrential downpour that was flooding and closing roads. Marc called to say traffic was crawling down the Blue Route, mostly due to visibility, or lack thereof. We had thought I would call someone to get a ride, and he would meet me there. But by the time he called from Plymouth Meeting, 10-15 minutes away in light traffic and good weather, it was already 9:15. So we decided I would drive myself, he would catch up with me, and then later, he would get someone to drive him over when it was time to pick me up, as I wasn't allowed to drive home. But we didn't realize just how bad the roads were.

I got past the Sandy Run Creek, which often floods Twining. Traffic was also moving slowly here, as it was still pouring. But when I got to the school on Susquehanna, the road was completely covered with water, curb to curb. All the way to Genuardi's. We navigated that stretch slowly and cautiously, which gave me time to call the doctor to advise that I was running late. No worries there.

Got through that, up the hill and back down, and with that low ground came more water. The intersection at Highland, where I had to turn into the hospital was blocked by police cars, and there were both fire trucks and ambulances trying to figure out alternate routes. I was a bit panicked, so I jumped out of the car, jacket open, wading through the water, to ask the police officer if he knew of any alternate routes that were still passable. He directed me back the way I came, to Wheatsheaf, which took me around and back to the hospital via mostly high ground.

Days like this you've got to love valet parking. Can't say that the guy who works there does, but it's great for us. Though I was so soaked at this point that it wouldn't have made a difference.

I did call Marc and tell him not to come. His car is lower, and he would have had even more trouble nagivating the roads. It was still pouring and it might have taken him so long to get there, that I would have been done with the doctor by the time he arrived. I was supposed to have an appointment with Dr. N at 9:30, and start my chemo at 10. But I think it was at least 9:45 when I arrived, so everything was moved back. The best laid plans.

As usual, everyone at the Rosenfeld Cancer Centre, where I'm receiving treatment, is so gracious and wonderful. Worried about me being wet and reassuring me not to worry about being late. While I was waiting to see the doctor, there were announcements coming over the hospital system advising people that some parking lots and parkades were flooding and vehicles would have to be moved. I had visions of spending the day and night there!

Even though I had my little point and shoot with me, I was so stressed on the drive there that I forgot to take it out. I called Gaby just after I left home to have her snap a photo for me. She got this shot out the front door:


It got worse before it got better. But you get the idea!

Dr. N and nurse Betty went over the chemo, the side effects, the meds, and any questions I had. At my last visit, I had been given 3 prescriptions to fill, 1 for the steroid for before and after days, and 2 anti-nausea meds. Today they added lorazepam, which is prescribed for anxiety, but in my case, is to be taken this evening in case I have trouble sleeping. It can also help with nausea, apparently.

I don't anticipate trouble sleeping given that I only got about 2-3 hours last night, but I'll take it anyway. They said for tonight I should.

Then it was off to the treatment room. Got a corner chair, with a TV, and right across from the bathroom. Good for someone with no experience wheeling around an IV pole, though with all of the water and iced tea I drank, I was fairly good at it by the time I left.



That's the TV up in the corner. I didn't listen to music, but the ipod earbuds came in handy for the television. Water, iced tea, green tea mints, lip gloss, phone for texts, pins and emails, book club book, journal and a magazine.



A nice warm blanket over my soggy self. That's the bathroom. Right there. Nice and close.



The chemo.



IV. No port required, since I'll only be there another 3 times.



My lucky Jaz bracelet. Looks better than the hospital-issued one!



The view from my corner. There are 6 nurses and several volunteers taking great care to make sure the patients are well looked after. I know I was.

The actual chemo took two hours. Following saline and I believe, another steroid, both given by IV, the first of the two chemo drugs was administered. The oncology pharmacy determines the dosage based on height and weight. I told them they had to compensate for the extra weight I came in with today -- wet shoes, wet clothes, wet hair! They have you leave your shoes on when you weigh in to keep the germs and bacteria to a minimum in a place where low immunity is common.

First was the Taxotere. Tara, my nurse, sat with me for the first ten minutes to make sure I had no reaction. Burning at the IV site is common. A stomach ache or discomfort in the chest can also occur. All went good.

Exactly an hour later the bag was empty and they changed it out for the Cytoxan. This time, I was told to let them know if I felt like I was getting a sinus headache, as they could adjust the flow. Again, no problem, though when nurse Betty came by, she said the headache could occur at anytime, even hours later. She told me to let them know for next time if that was the case, so they could slow it down a bit for subsequent treatments.

Its not feeling like a sinus headache, but rather like I went swimming and got a bit of water up my nose. Easy enough to live with. But I won't speak too soon. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Jim, our awesome neighbor, got Marc to the hospital just as I was done. We were out of there by 2:00.

And I came home to this:



Thanks Gaby girl! XO

I'm still not feeling too bad right now. Shortly after we got home, we turned around and went to pick up Gab's new glasses, dropped Nick off at his girlfriend's, and fueled up and picked up photos at Sam's. It's been almost 5 hours since we got home from the hospital. My feeling OK might also have something to do with my dear friend Liz delivering a yummy dinner of BBQ chicken, mac and cheese and a fabulous, loaded salad. Soooo good, and enough for tomorrow. I did snap her picture, but haven't downloaded it yet. I'll share it soon.

I can't say enough how much I appreciate all that my friends and family are doing for me, for us, during this time. I know I keep repeating myself, but what a blessing. I'm a lucky girl!

3 comments:

  1. Um, hello, summer? What the!

    So glad you got there relatively on time though so you didn't have to reschedule - that would have bitten big time. Especially after a sleepless night leading up to the big first chemo day.

    PS: What is with that rain!
    PPS: Nick has a GIRLFRIEND?!?!? (the little stallion)
    PPPS: I hope you keep feeling this good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on day one done with. Keep smiling and you are in our prayers from all your cousins aunt and uncle up north in Canada(Ontario) :)
    From Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherri, I had no idea of your diagnosis until just now reading your blog. Where have I been??
    Anyway, I am sorry to hear the news but it sounds like you are doing OK. Hope the chemo effects were minimal....will be thinking of you!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete