Monday, July 19, 2010

So This is the Bone Pain

Silly me to think that I might not recognize it. Talk about discomfort. Painful. Worthy of prescription pain meds. Yuck.

I woke this morning at 4:44 a.m., extremely uncomfortable. My back hurt, and I thought I had just slept funny. Til I woke fully and realized this was a new sensation, right where Nurse Lesley said it would be. Lower back, pelvic area. I went downstairs and heated my lavender and flax filled heating pad thingy in the microwave, and tried that for awhile. When I found myself still awake and uncomfortable 45 minutes later, I decided a tubby was in order.

So I filled the tub and finished off my book club book, then shampooed my hair and even shaved my legs. All before 6:00 a.m. Efficient.

Popped tylenol as well, because that's recommended as the starting point. I was told that many people take prescription pain meds. While we have some in the house and I still have an unfilled prescription from my recent surgery, I'd rather not go there. The only thing I've been taking has been the pepcid for heartburn, and of course tylenol. But I needed to keep the heat on most of the day and I found walking and standing at times unbearable. Not to mention that I'm moving much slower.

I searched a bit online for some information on neulasta side effects and how different people handled them. Some people surprisingly found relief from Claritin (not D) and others said Ibuprofen or Naproxen did the trick. I think I'll try the Ibuprofen and see if it's a bit more effective.

On a positive note, I'm not really having trouble eating, but rather just finding foods that are appealing. So like when I was pregnant with Gaby 10 years ago. Even the same time of year. And so much alike, that, when Nick suggested DQ Blizzards last night in honour of National Ice Cream Day, we did! Banana Split Blizzard with Vanilla Ice Cream. Got a wee bit of fruit there!

So I'm missing this:



My spices. Seasonings. Food with lots of TASTE! I did have some chips and salsa today. I sampled a bit at Fresh Market earlier when I was in search of tea biscuits (which I didn't find) and I brought some of that Sarah's Salsa home.

I'm finding beverages that are working for me:



Water, of course, V8's tasting yummy and I think I've have to stock up on that skinny sport water. It's good and goes down easy, which will be important for round 2, where my goal is to try extreme hydration right after the chemo. It's supposed to make you feel better sooner. Worth a try.

I also know that walking will make me feel better, but until I get this bone pain under better control, I can't see that happening. Mall walking might be in order, to get out of this oppressive humidity, but probably closer to the end of the week.

I have my appointment with Dr. N tomorrow. I would imagine she'll be checking my blood to see where I'm at. Sometimes I feel a bit feverish, but everytime I've taken my temp, it's been close enough to normal that I don't have to worry. I'm interested to see how tomorrow goes.

For tonight, I'm popping that Ibuprofen, warming my heating pad, and turning in early.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Sherri! So sorry to hear about the pain. I'm hoping you find quick relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for comfort for you tonight.
    -Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm Simply Orange.... Mmmmmm V8.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. PRAYING for the END of all Cancer. Good HEALTH to ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When your getting blue, think of how much fun Ukranian Christmas was as a kid. We are still together in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete