Thursday, July 22, 2010

Dan Dan the Parking Man

Dan is actually the parking ATTENDANT at the Cancer Centre, but I couldn't resist the rhyme. While I didn't watch the Gong Show much, we all knew about Gene Gene the Dancing Machine. Showing my age here. You know, the Gong Show, back in the 70's?! Google it.

Tuesday was my follow up appointment with Dr. N, the medical oncologist in charge of my chemotherapy. I dropped the girls off at their Robbins Park camp (Gaby and her friend) picked up a huge shaken black tea lemonade from Starbucks (where, by the way, the smell of coffee is still a sad turn off!) and headed to the Cancer Centre.

It's adjacent/attached to the hospital and has it's own valet parking. Just for people using that building and it's facilities. Nice, because it's small, close and during the week it's always the same person running the show. Dan always has a smile and a kind word -- a nice way to begin and end appointments and treatments that aren't always pleasant.

I had been thinking about a monthly parking pass for August, since I have two treatments and at least two appointments, and was going to ask Dan about it. Parking is $5 a shot and a monthly pass is $10.

Well, Dan beat me to it. He asked about my upcoming schedule and pointed out that the powers that be had just raised the price of parking to $7.50. Wow! So he suggested a pass that would be issued that day, Tuesday and expire with the end of my chemo, mid-September. Very nice of him, I thought, and we agreed to settle it when my appointment was done.

I was early for my 9:45, having come straight from Robbins Park, so I had expected to sit awhile. That was not the case. I was taken back after sitting for about a minute. Just enough time to get my magazine open. Weighed, BP'd and blood drawn. BP was kind of high for me, 127 over something, but no one seemed concerned. Weight the same as a week ago, which is good for going through a week of nausea and eating what I felt like. Bowls of salt and vinegar chips for dinner and containers of Kozy Shack rice pudding when nothing else tasted good. And can't forget the hamburger helper!

What also surprised me was that my blood levels/counts hadn't changed. I only know this because I get a copy of it and side by side, last week, right before chemo, was the same as this week. Does that mean the neulasta is doing it's thing?

I met with Dr. N and Nurse Betty right on time. The doctor said my counts probably haven't dropped yet, as indicated by the bloodwork. Nadir is the term applied to this, the low point. I'm not sure of the correct terminology. I can't remember if she said I hadn't nadired yet, or reached my nadir. I'll have to clarify that with my next appointment.

We discussed the bone pain, which was actually less severe Tuesday than Monday. I had taken ibuprofen Monday night and again Tuesday morning, which seems to help. Dr. N also said that based on timing, and what I had told her, that should be the worst of it. And she was right. I felt a couple of twinges throughout Tuesday, but nothing as severe as Monday. That's a good thing.

I was still feeling the foggy head/brain and nauseated, and told her so. Both she and Nurse Betty seemed concerned about this and suggested pulling out the big guns with respect to anti-nausea meds, for next time. I was given a prescription for Emend, a tripack of 3 capsules, and told to fill it asap, just in case. Meaning, just in case insurance doesn't agree. Precertification might be required and have to be requested by the doctor's office. Once the prescription is filled, I'm to bring it with me for my next chemo.

Having gotten an early start, I was out of there shortly after 10, got my lovely red parking pass from Dan, and headed to Target.

Sure enough, the gentleman behind the counter asked the pharmacist to look at the prescription, came back and asked what it was for, and then told me they'd be checking with insurance. Standard in a situation like this. So I was surprised to come back to the filled prescription, though insurance stated something about 30 days. Now, that won't work for my 3 week chemo cycle, but since we don't know how effective the Emend will be, its not a problem, yet.

I have been keeping track of meds, my food intake, and how I've been feeling every day, in the hopes that the period of time following each chemotherapy will play out in a similar way, and I'll be able to plan better, both for myself and the kids.

Interesting journey, this.

No comments:

Post a Comment