Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Weekend

Quiet and uneventful.

Gaby spent Saturday with her friend Amy, swimming in this oppressive heat. Nick hung out with his friends day and evening. Marc packed for his overseas adventure. I, vegged.

I finished off the hamburger helper for breakfast yesterday (Oh if I didn't know better I'd think I was preggers!) Had a cucumber salad for lunch. The kind my Baba used to make, with sliced cukes, vinegar, sour cream, and seasoned salt. No dill and/or black pepper though. Since Nick's friends were going to be here for dinner, as well as Gab, and Marc would be gone, I ordered pizza. Good old Rosario's. A cheesesteak pizza, which I'm sure would have been much better with the onions and hot peppers. But that's for another day.

Not sure about the bone pain. Still feeling the nausea and foggy headedness. I tried one of the anti-nausea pills Friday morning, but haven't taken any since. Wednesday, I took the two different types as directed, and still felt nauseous, but who knows how I would have felt without it. All I've taken this weekend is the tylenol, and I feel better with than without it.

I've taken my temperature most every day and it's been normal or just slightly high, so nothing to worry about there.

I slept alright Saturday night, even with squirmy worm Gaby. When Marc is away, she usually sleeps with me. Even though she's a bit of a bed hog, she's a great cuddler.

This morning, Sunday, I actually made scrambled eggs with a bit of cheddar. A normal breakfast food for breakfast! V8 to go with it, which makes ketchup on my eggs unnecessary. My big plan was to try to walk this morning, hoping that would clear the fogginess that seems to linger in my head. But when I stepped outside at 7 a.m. it was 80 F, about 27 C, so I decided to use the Wii. You can watch TV and the Wii will time out a predetermined pace. I opted for 20 minutes and that was enough for my jelly legs. But it really didn't do my head any good. My friend Robin suggested mall walking and I think we might just have to try that. I think I'd feel better after doing that than steps on the Wii in my living room.

Chatted with Marc briefly on Skype this morning. Honey, I love chatting with you but I don't like when you decide to call me so that you can show someone else how Skype video works! Marc is in Zurich and I met his friend Hans and his entire family -- daughter, wife and son -- shortly after my Wii walk.  Marc was at their home for dinner, and he kept trying to coax me into better light so they could see how great the video was! I was going all vampire, trying to stay in the shadows!

Gaby was invited to spend the day with her friend Claire. She was very excited, as they've been away all last week and the girls have a lot of catching up to do. They also planned to take her with them to another neighbor's for a cookout -- even more fun.

I decided on another outing to Target. Not rain nor hail nor sleet nor chemo will keep me away from Target when the school supplies go on sale. This week:  binders! I figured I could kill two birds with one stone, since Target now carries a lot of grocery items. So besides the binders, markers, post it notes and mirror that I had promised Gab for the back of her door,  I picked up LOTS of Kozy Shack Rice Pudding, vanilla yogurt, OJ, cereal, eggos, and some oranges. A beeline to Sam's for some frozen berries and I headed home. I should mention that I love smoothies with vanilla yogurt, OJ and frozen strawberries, blueberries, etc, but the one I tried to make on Thursday tasted yucky. I'm thinking it might have been because I had no strawbs, and the yogurt was sugarfree (Marc's) So I'll try again with my 'normal' ingredients and hope that it's better this time.

I spent quite a bit of time on the phone this afternoon with my friend Nina, who's son is friend of Nick's. This November will mark her 6 year anniversary as a breast cancer survivor. We had so much to talk about. Though everyone's experience in this battle is different, there is so much the same. So much that she went through and completely understands. It's comforting. Reassuring. In many ways, not the least of which, that, 'so I'm NOT going crazy' way. Especially this nagging, foggy head/brain feeling. Like I had just one too many cocktails. But it's been the next morning and the next and the next, and it hasn't gone away.

Nina said she remembers feeling the same way. She shared the story of her neighbor going through chemo at the same time, and how different the two experienced it. Reassuring to me, as this experience hasn't been quite as textbook as was spelled out to me. Which is also another reason to document it. I probably won't remember much once it's all said and done. We like to forgot the unpleasant things!

Nina also remembered a cook book she had acquired during her chemo: Eating Well Through Cancer . She said she'd look for it and drop it off if she was able to find it.

Not only did she find it and bring it by, she also brought over a bottle of Skinny Sport Water, pink berry citrus flavour. It's chilling in the fridge right now. She had picked them up at the Shop 'n Bag this afternoon, gave me my choice of most appealing flavour, and delivered it, with the cook book, shortly after we got off of the phone. I'll let you know how it is Nina -- thanks!

My friends and family continue to call, write, email, IM, text with messages of love and support. Nary called me today, while I was at Target, to nab Gaby this afternoon, with the same intentions as Claire's family. I love hearing from everyone and it really does lift me up. It's the boost, the encouragement I need. And that I am so thankful for.

Gaby's doing a Robbins Park camp during the mornings this week, Nick has his usual Monday allergist appointment and guitar lesson, and I have an appointment with Dr. N on Tuesday and Jacki on Thursday. Marc's not back til the weekend. The forecast is for the 90's all week, nothing really under 30 C. No break in the weather. Whatever will be, will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment