Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Your friends certainly make sure you eat GOOD when you have cancer!




It all started the week after receiving my diagnosis. I got the news on a Friday and was fortunate to have an 8:30 appointment with my surgical oncologist the following Monday.  It was a busy day, as Mondays had evolved into this spring. I had an appointment to take Roxi to the vet at 10:30, Gaby had early dismissal from which I was thinking of picking her up, in order to get her to a hair appointment with Annmarie. That was for 2:00. We had to make sure not to dilly dally too much, as Nick had his 3:45 guitar lesson, after which we had to gobble dinner and get Gaby to her 6:00 soccer practice.

With the emotional newness of my diagnosis, I was quickly moved to tears upon listening to Elise's phone message while waiting in the doctor's office. She said she knew I had a busy day, a lot on my plate, and would I let her bring dinner over. I was touched and very receptive to the idea, though the thought did cross my mind that Nick and Gaby might get suspicious. Remember, they knew nothing at this point.

Well, my worries were all for naught. When I answered their usual question "What's for dinner?" with "I'm not sure. Mrs. Seyfried's bringing dinner over to us tonight" no one batted an eye.

She and Julie brought over a huge pan of chicken enchilladas, salad and triple chocolate mocha cookies. Everything was yummy and lasted for another 2 meals. I had thought about freezing some of it, but before I could give it another thought, everything was gone.


Surgery was scheduled for another 3 weeks down the road, and I agreed to further offers of meals during that time. After Marc's scrumptious lasagna on the day of my surgery, of which there exist no photos, Nary brought over Chinese noodles and a beef and beans dish. Another winner, and so good that Gaby ate the noodles cold for lunch, at school, for the rest of the week.







Elise had called to ask if I was ready for Peace meals, those prepared by our church members. I said I would love one and Thursday would work well for us. I got suspicious when she called to confirm the time SHE should bring it over. Now I must mention that Elise is a fabulous cook and baker, and I would love to eat meals prepared by her every day. But I didn't want her to go to all that trouble again.

But she did.



Pretzel chicken over polenta served with cheese sauce a la Rachael Ray. Sensational! Oh and of course a love salad and chocolatey frosted cake for dessert. The name escapes me but I enjoyed it for a few more days after all of the chicken was gone.

We were generously provided with meals for three days, which served us into the weekend.

And it started again on the following Monday. I was shuttling Gaby to soccer practice, so I missed my dear friend Kathy's delivery, but I certainly enjoyed it!



She had mentioned she was going to bring this tortilla soup which sounded yummy. And it was! With grated cheese, avocado and sour cream for garnish, and home made tortilla strips to go with it. That was a bowl in a meal. But she had also brought chicken enchilladas and corn on the cob. And a pitcher of real margaritas for the grown ups!

We didn't even touch the enchillas or corn, so it worked out very well that Lisa brought over a pasta casserole the next morning, ready for freezing.



A riccotta pasta casserole, ready for either oven or freezer. This one went south, with much appreciation. So did the Texas toast that accompanied it. Of course we couldn't freeze the salad, and the chocolate covered pretzels didn't need to go there either.
The casserole didn't stay frozen long though. The following week we were readying for our trip to Canada, and it served as dinner both Monday and Tuesday. And it was delicious.

Wednesday saw Elizabeth appear at our door bearing gifts in a giant princess bag.



Seasoned chicken breasts, brown rice and a yummy green salad. Perfect. And ample! I was eating dinners for lunches and there was still leftovers. I was also nibbling on the cold rice whenever I'd open the fridge -- can't resist!

So when Carole brought over Thursday's meal of roast beef, baked potatoes and another beautiful salad, we were running out of room in the fridge! The kids love roast beef sandwiches, and we probably used more of the potatoes fried up over the next few days. The salad, once we finished Elizabeth's, lasted into the weekend.


They had come over early so the girls could play for awhile and I let them leave without getting a picture of Carole and the food. Still got the food though! That's actually Elizabeth's salad from the day before.

Once again the meals took us into the weekend. Marc and I actually dined in NYC that Saturday night, and we all ate at the golf course on the Sunday. (one of those food minimum/end of the month things). So that was two weeks of minimal cooking for me. Which meant quick runs to the grocery store for not much more than milk and fruit. With Lisa's casserole covering those last two meals before we left for Canada, I had had a pretty easy time in the kitchen.

In Canada, meals were prepared for us. Between different family members, the wedding of course, and dining out, another week passed without me really lifting a untensil.

Spoiled? Yeah, I think so. But ever so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment