Sunday, June 27, 2010

Radiation

Just a brief bit about radiation, again, as I understand it.

Necessary to attack the area of the tumour. Chemo works to destroy cancer cells throughout the body. Because cells would have to multiply by the millions before forming anything large enough to detect any other way, the chemo prevents that. The chances of more cancer cells being present in my body are greater because, well, I had a cancerous tumour.

The tumour was surgically removed, which could change the patterns of blood flow in that area, which could then render the chemo ineffective, in that area. Which is why the radiation is necessary. In that area. My understanding of Dr. H's explanation.

When I have my last round of chemo, I'll contact Dr. H's office and set up my schedule for my 6 weeks of weekday radiation. I'll have an appointment before I start, for them to calibrate what they need, to customize the radiation for me. I'll get two little tattoo dots that the radiology techs will use to properly orient me for my treatments. I'll start on a Monday, go every weekday for 6 weeks, and check in on one of those days, probably Tuesdays, with Dr. H, to see how I'm progressing.

The good thing about the chemo is that it pushes back the radiation schedule to the fall, when the kids are back in school. Much less disruptive for our family and easier for this SAHM, who finds herself home even less these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment