Sunday, June 27, 2010

Chemo

Is a yes.

I wrongly assumed that, when my node biopsy came back clean, radiation was all I was facing. The cancer hadn't spread. Considered Stage 1. I thought I would go through six weeks of radiation and be done.

Wrong.

The results of the onkotyping of my tumour are what this decision is based on. The tumour is analyzed and given a breast cancer recurrence score, based on past studies. I believe it's over about a twenty year period, but I've been quoted so many stats and studies recently that I could easily confuse the information. Consider this a very lay interpretation and explanation.

My score was 23. Almost dead in the middle. No clear path is indicated by a score such as this. Another decision I would have to make, though all of my oncologists weighed in on this.

With a score of 23, node negative, ER positive, the risk of the cancer recurring in 10 years, with radiation and 5 years of tamoxifen treatments, is 15%. Add chemo to the attack plan, followed by the radiation and tamoxifen, the that risk is reduced to less than 5%.

My surgeon said she would recommend the chemo, and left it to the medical oncologist to elaborate. She did, and concurred with the surgeon, as did the radiation oncologist. Citing my age (as young -- funny to hear that) and health, as factors in support of that argument, they all believe that I'm equipped to battle aggressively.

The chemo will consist of 4 treatments, given by IV, every 3 weeks. Each treatment takes 3-4 hours. Benadryl is administered with one of the types of chemo I'll be receiving, but I can't recall which one. For that reason, I won't be allowed to drive myself home.

The two types of chemo I will be receiving are cytoxan and taxotere These links are the actual information that was printed and provided to my by Dr. N. Interesting and scary, especially, obviously, the side effects. But you can get the same jolt if you read the list of side effects you receive with any prescription you fill. They have to list EVERTHING. And they do.

Some of the side effects conflict, between these two types of chemo. One may cause loss of appetite, the other, fluid retention. What might the outcome of that look like?  Nausea is a given and hair loss seems very likely. I had debated getting dreads before starting chemo, but I'm still on the fence. If I get dreads, I won't lose my hair, and it won't be about just 'trying' out the dreads. On the other had, if I get them and experience hair loss, it might hold the hair together a bit longer. I figure if I don't get them, I won't experience hair loss -- that's the way things usually play out for me!

The prospect of hair loss has prompted the most discussion with friends, family, and of course Marc. He's all for a blond wig! I told him I'd wear it at home, but it probably wouldn't see the outside world. I'm leaning towards scarves. It will be hot and humid and wigs can be hot and scratchy. I've already visited etsy and favourited a few scarves and head covers designed just for this purpose. I love etsy! Pier and I are in agreement about the scarves and we're both etsy fans.

In my initial meeting with Dr. N, we had discussed starting chemo July 1st, which is next week. But at that time, things were still unsettled with my potential menopausal issues. Still are. So that date, right now, is July 13th, pending closure to those other things.

Good and bad, this potential summer of chemo. Good, in that it's once every 3 weeks, so we're not chained to home by my schedule, as we would have been with 6 weeks of radiation. Bad, as staying out of the sun is something one must do while undergoing chemo. But upon further investigation, I can wear sunscreen and am simply more sensitive to the sun. I might possibly break out in a rash. Nothing like undermining the treatments or causing additional damage.

But our PA summers are hot and humid and if I feel as crappy as is written, I can't see myself even feeling like hiding under a brolly poolside. I just hope I'm wrong. The summer will indeed be boring for my kids if that's the case.

That said, again, my wonderful family and friends have come through with offers to take my kids, shuttle and chaffeur them, entertain them. My parents have offered to travel and stay with us if I feel overwhelmed and lousy. I can't say enough how much easier going through this is, with this kind of love and support. It take an army to do all sorts of things, and I'm so blessed to have one behind me.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Pier!! Hasn't happened yet and haven't had time to fully research it, so it's looking more and more like I won't see them. There's no one really close by who does them and time's running out. Might just go straight to bald! XO

    ReplyDelete