Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tamoxifen

This is the least explained and researched subject thus far. Since my tumour was ER (estrogen receptor) positive, it is believed that I would benefit from 5 years of tamoxifen treatment.

Tamoxifen is an antagonist of the estrogen receptor in breast tissue. It has been the standard endocrine (anti-estrogen) therapy for hormone-positive early breast cancer in post-menopausal women, although aromatase inhibitors have been proposed. This is from wikipedia.

Apparently the risks outweigh the benefits, but the risks sound a bit scary. Given my history of migraine headaches which puts me at greater risk of stroke when things like birth control pills (hormones) are added to the mix, I'm not sure this is right for me. The 3 migraines in 12 days from the progesterone further support that. And I do believe these headaches are from the progesterone. I was diagnosed with cancer on April 16th, and the stress of that diagnosis doesn't appear to have caused any headaches. But less than 48 hours after starting the progesterone, I had my first migraine since my diagnosis. Second followed 6 days later, and a third 6 days after that, even when I reduced the dosage. I'm just sayin'.

2 comments:

  1. Just read the whole journey so far. I had no idea, and have put you straight on the top of my prayer list! You better be scrappin' this crazy trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Kate. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.
    Photos, blogging, emails, journaling will all come together to immortalize this journey. Crazy is right! XO

    ReplyDelete