Sunday, June 27, 2010

My Potluck Friends


That's what we call ourselves. We've been friends for over 20 years, brought together by a common employer, common position. Our first dinner wasn't a potluck, just dinner out. We decided that we'd like to keep getting together for dinner, but thought it would be more fun to take turns hosting potlucks in our homes. 

I think we're all pretty good cooks and have gotten better throughout the years, with the challenge of one upping each other's fabulous recipes. Many of my PA friends know my Chorizo Corn Chowder, a favourite I bring to soup suppers or any other gathering where soup's appropriate. That's a Bonnie recipe. Everyone BUT my family loves it. I make whole pots, double the recipe, and freeze it in single servings for me!

We thought we should put a cook book together, for ourselves. We're good at emailing recipes to each other after a get together, but the book has fallen by the wayside.

I left Winnipeg 13 years ago for PA, Tracey, 11 years ago, heading south to TX. But whenever one of us makes it back to the Peg, we get together. And two years ago, we finally took to the road. The girls all traveled here and we visited NYC, among other places. We talk about doing it again and I'm sure we will one day. We such a FABULOUS long weekend together, got along so well, and made many treasured memories.

That's the last time I saw Trac, as our times in Winnipeg don't usually coincide. So I knew not to expect to see her in Winnipeg last month. But I was so pleased when Bonz, Brenda, Monique and Patti worked  to arrange their schedule around our short 4 1/2 days there, so that we could get together. Taking either 1/2 or a full day off, we met at Monique's Friday morning for brunch. In the end Patti couldn't make it, as she was heading to Wisconsin for the weekend. Funny enough, Monique was heading out at noon for MN.

Rather than completely repeat myself,  you can read about my Friday morning in Winnipeg on my other blog. But I did want to repeat the fact that these girls, in Winnipeg and TX, along with my sister, arranged, through my friend here, Elise, for housecleaning, the first of which was while we were in Winnipeg. What a pleasure to come home to a clean and dust/dust bunny free place! And there are more cleanings in my future, to be scheduled at my convenience.

They also presented me with a beautiful necklace, 'Faith', which I've been wearing 'faithfully', since I received it. It's a reminder to stay strong, and a reminder of the love and support I have. I'm so blessed.



Did I mention that they're great cooks too?!



Can't wait to see you girls again. Love you all, Brenda, Monique, Bonnie, Patti and Tracey.


No comments:

Post a Comment