Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Flowers. For me


Overwhelmed. Again.

I should have devoted a post to the day before surgery, but didn't. It was another busy Monday. But full of wonderful surprises.

I knew Pastor Kay was coming over to sit with me the day before surgery. To talk. To offer communion and prayers. So when there was a knock at the door around the time I was expecting PKay, I was suprised and delighted to see my old friend Lynn at the door.

One of my first and greatest friends here in PA, we have lost touch over the recent years. Our childrens' activities take us in different directions, as has as life. Lynn worked full time and went back to school to become a nurse. She did, maintaining a crazy schedule for years, and graduating a year ago. We finally met for lunch last summer and thought we'd get together more regularly after that. And as so often happens, it didn't happen. But Lynn was back in the loop for book club, so there were more opportunities to see her. Still not regularly enough to have shared my news face to face. She received the email I sent to local and faraway friends. On the advice of her husband, who reminded her I was telling Nick and Gaby over the weekend, she waited til Monday to come over, bearing gifts, love and support. An uplifting music CD, a beautiful journal, and a card bearing a warm and encouraging message. I was touched and just so very happy to see her. And bummed because I knew our visit couldn't be as long as I would have liked. We enjoyed the few minutes we had, and she departed once PKay arrived.

PKay also arrived bearing gifts. A beautiful blue prayer shawl, made by the ladies of the Lamb Circle, at our church. Again I was touched. The goodness of people and their eagerness to reach out and help is awesome. Inspiring. Welcome.

PKay spent over an hour with me. We talked. Got off topic, as we often do. She offered prayers and shared communion.

My pastor is the mother of a soon to be sophomore boy, just like me. With that in common, I think of her probably as a friend first. And while I guess your pastor should be your friend, I sometimes forget that she's also my pastor. I just didn't have the same dilemma growing up in the Catholic church!

Friend and pastor, she's wonderful in both roles, and a blessing to me.

Since I titled this post Flowers, I should mention them.




The day after surgery, I received a delivery. A beautiful arrangement from Marc's office. Over those next few days, a lovely basket of flowers from the Godoskis, all. A box of beautiful cut flowers from my Mom and Dad, sister and her family. Also left on my doorstep was a vase of spring pinks, from my Godmother.  All far far away in Winnipeg, but close in my heart.



Cindy brought these sunflowers over on Sunday. Bright and sunny.



An edible assortment from Joanne, who works with Marc.

Cards bearing heartfelt notes and well wishes came in the mail. My friend Peg gave me an inspirational book when she and Sandi made the trip my way, for coffee. Elizabeth left a mysterious bag bearing witch hazel and lavender. Something we had discussed. 

While still facing uncertainly in terms of treatment at that point, I was certainly distracted from giving it too much thought. In an absolutely wonderful way. Wow.


No comments:

Post a Comment