Thursday, January 13, 2011

The end of Radiation

Radiation wrapped up at a perfect time -- two days before Thanksgiving!

During radiation, Elise brought ANOTHER DELICIOUS dinner.


It was a BBQ chicken skillet pizza with a cornbread crust. Yum!

To celebrate the end of radiation, I finally took what I called my radiation pass out of my purse.



When I arrived, every day, I passed it in front of a scanner that read my unique bar code and let them know that I had arrived. Pretty cool system, actually. Once I had scanned my card/pass, I donned a lovely hospital gown and waited in the Women's waiting area until I was called back. On a good day, I was in and out in 15 or 20 minutes. On a bad day, I could be there for almost an hour. On one really good day I was back in my car 10 minutes after I had left it for the parking valet!

During my last full week of radiation, the clip fell off of my pass. I had debated whether or not to request a new holder. I figured for the last few days I could get by with the old one.

It was a good feeling to take this out of my purse and know that I didn't have to make sure it found its way back for the next day.

I had Marc take a picture of the radiated area. For me, and to share. I apologize if you find it unpleasant. Just scroll on past it if you prefer.



For the first 23 days, the radiation targeted a more broad area. My entire left breast. While my skin started to look sunburnt, I was fortunate that it was no worse than that. It felt a bit dry, kind of papery, but that was it. This photo was taken a week after I had completed radiation and just over 2 weeks after the broad area radiation was done. By that time the redness had subsided and it was looking more like a weird suntan.

Under my left arm, one of the scars is visible in the photo. I had two incisions: one to remove the tumour, and one for the node biopsy. The last seven rounds of radiation target the area where the tumour had been, and that's why there's a red triangle shape in that area.

Its been about six weeks since I finished radiation, and that red triangle is now a lovely brown colour, and the brown that covered the larger area is now gone.

At the time radiation was done, I was the lucky recipient of flowers from my Mom and Dad, and sister and her family.



Aren't they beautiful?! They were delivered the day after I was done, which was the day before Thanksgiving. Beautiful fall colours, they made a gorgeous centerpiece for our Thanksgiving table.

Marc also sent flowers.



What a beautiful way to celebrate the end of radiation!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Sherri. I hope you are doing well! I am a video producer working with ASTRO, the national group of radiation oncologists. We are producing a series of patient education videos to help patients have a better understanding of what to expect while undergoing radiation. I'd like to use the photo you posted above of your skin during your treatment. Your name will not be used, and the photo does not identify you, nor show breast, just skin. You can learn more about ASTRO at www.astro.org. I'd be happy to contact you personally to answer any questions you have. My email is fran@evolution-media.com.

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete