Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Sharing of Information

I was at Gaby's school for Childwatch yesterday. Kindergarten lunch is pretty early, and my dear friend Jennell is one of the kindergarten teachers there, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to grab a few minutes with her and share the news of the latest chapter in my life.
To make my long story a bit shorter, Jennell was great. I was so concerned with what her reaction might be, and told her this prior, so she promised to have none. And she did a great job! Thanks Nell!
But this nevertheless convinced me that I either need more practice delivering this sort of information face to face, or that I should just use email!
I also told my friend Nary last Friday, in person. But she was driving, which meant we no prolonged eye contact. That was good. And because we were driving up to Assi Plaza, a good 20 minutes, I had time to give her the long drawn out saga, similar to what I've written here.
Now, everyone else with whom I've shared so far, knew that I was awaiting biospy results and had a chance of receiving that information Friday afternoon. So it was a simple yes or no. Good or bad. I emailed Elise, texted Elizabeth, and messaged Carole and Annmarie via FB.
I called Marc at work as soon as I hung up with the doctor, but couldn't reach him. My sister Linda called a minute later, knowing from my Mom that I could have news that afternoon. So she was the first person I 'told'. Disbelief. We spoke for awhile, and she agreed to share the news with my parents, as Nick was already home and Gaby soon would be. We also agreed that her new high risk status as a result of my diagnosis meant that she needed to call her doctor and set up regular screenings.
By the time Linda and I were getting off the phone, Marc was calling back. More disbelief. And a promise to come home asap!
In sharing with Jennell, I also asked that she pass along this information to those at school who should know: Gaby's teacher, principal, guidance counselor, some of the teachers who teach specials like art, techonology, etc. Once Gaby and Nick are in on what's going on, my hope is that nothing will change at school. It will continue to be their safe and fun place where they can just be themselves, be students. Be with their friends.
But in case there are changes in their moods, behaviors, grades, or in the case of Gaby, discussion of what's going on, because she lives up to her name, I would like those at the school to be aware of the situation.
I need to contact the elementary school guidance counselor to ask for advise in how to share this with my children. She's a wonderful woman who's been there since Nick's elementary school days, and she also faced off against cancer several years ago. So I think she can offer both professional and personal advice.
I want to tell them before the surgery. That day, I will need to be out the door too early to put Gaby on the bus first, so she'll have to go to a neighbor's and will want to know why! If not for that, I might have waited til after the surgery. But not too long after, as we're flying to Winnipeg on the 26th of May, and I'll have to wear a compression sleeve on my left arm due to the risk of lymphodema (another post!) I don't want to lie about why I'm wearing it, so by then, they'll know.
I want to share this news with them before the surgery, enough before the surgery so that they can process the information, and hopefully pose their questions and concerns. But my surgery is May 11th, Mother's Day is May 9th, Nick's School of Rock shows are May 7th and 8th, with final rehearsal May 6th. Marc leaves town tomorrow and isn't back til May 6th. May 5th is open house at Gaby's school. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I don't want the news to be disturbing and disruptive to all that's going on. I don't want to tell them on Mother's Day. Not what you want to remember looking back on Mother's Day.Which is also why I'm not having the surgery this Tuesday, May 4th. (The doctor's at the surgical centre Tuesdays, which we both prefer to trying to do this at the hospital) Who wants to remember their 15th birthday as the one when Mom had her cancer surgery? We even changed his allergy shot appointment next week, to Monday from Tuesday, so he wouldn't be receiving those shots on his birthday!
So right now, Nick and Gaby do not know.
And right now, I think I should put to paper, the thoughts and explanation that have been swirling in my head for almost two weeks now, for my friends and family, here and faraway, and get that email out! For now, I will exclude Pier, Manon and Nathan. Manon is writing her final, final finals for medicine next week. The 5th is the last day. Pier and her Nathan are getting married on May 28th,  and are in the midst of wedding and travel plans. I could tell Nathan, but I don't want him to have to keep it from his sisters. So I'll share it after the wedding.
I reread my first two posts on this here new blog, and the tone is a bit depressing! I must stress that I am not perpetually bummed out! I'm still procrastinating, and busy, the house still isn't as clean as you'd think a SAHM's would be, nor is the yard anywhere near shipshape. I still get annoyed with the kids, Marc, the dog, and still laugh and have fun with them, and my friends. I sitll bitch and moan about petty things, mostly to myself, and still marvel at those who can't. Keep their bitching and moaning to themselves, that is. And by that I mean strangers. Girlfriends, well, that's one of the reasons we're there for each other, isn't it?!
Life hasn't really changed. The dog still steals food whenever she thinks she can, Gaby's shoes are still all over the house, Nick doesn't remember that he's now tall enough to reach the towel hook, and Marc still misplaces everything. I still grab a baby wipe to spot clean the doggie dust bunnies instead of having a set day to vacuum, and still have to send the kids down to the dryer to find the latest clean clothing item out of the dryer. I'm still cooking, coming up with meals that satisfy 1/2 of us all of the time. Marc and I were all about the chicken scallopini last night; the kids, not so much! They preferred the breaded cutlets from the night before, of which there would have been leftovers had I not left them in the oven, off of course, for the 24 hours following dinner. I should be putting the sand in the cracks of the patio right now, and instead I'm blogging! Things really haven't changed much.
I am so thankful for all of the great people I'm surrounded by, both literally and figuratively. I'm blessed with so many great people in my life. Strong. Supportive. Considerate. Caring. Just all around awesome! I love you all and thank you for the privilege of sharing the good, the bad and the ugly. And for sticking by me through all of that. The battle's just begun, but with all of you behind me, and beside me, cancer doesn't stand a chance! Love you all!!

2 comments:

  1. You have inspired me to 'bitch and moan' about the opera I saw two nights ago.... urg! It's been so hard to keep it inside, but the lead soprano makes me want to get a gun license and shoot her out-of-control-head-wobbling-vibrato into outer space! ARRRRR SHE DOES MY HEAD IN AND GETS EVERY LEAD ROLE BECAUSE HER FATHER OWNS THE OPERA COMPANY ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! I wonder if everyone else thinks the same as me, but merely has better manners, but - AR!! I just can't keep it in any longer. If I had of know she was going to be butchering every one of those lovely songs, I would have gone to the chemist to buy a bottle of valium instead! ARRRRRRR!!! HEAVEN HELP OPERA IN LOGAN UTAH!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I can inspire you too Jaz! You put a big smile on my face! XO

    ReplyDelete